Job at School of St Jude, Creative Copywriter and Editor;- Communications, M&E and Admin Senior Intern
Contract type: Internships
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
WASH SDG Programme aims to sustainably improve access to and use of sanitation services and improve hygiene behaviours in the coming three years (2019-2022). It is built on three core strategic objectives, namely (1) increasing demand for improved WASH facilities and practices, (2) improving the quality of service provision and by (3) improving governance of the sector. The programme will contribute to achieving access to safely managed sanitation and improved hygiene behaviour for 200,000 and 160,000 people respectively in peri-urban/urban areas of Shinyanga and Arusha municipalities/cities.
Overview of the Position:
The SDG programme is heading into a peak of implementation, and the Programme requires the recruitment of a senior intern to support on the ground activities related to all components and to provide ongoing communications and monitoring support.
This exciting position offers the opportunity to join a dynamic team on a very diverse programme. The Senior Intern must be a Tanzanian national preferably of the level of a bachelor degree or equivalent. Demonstrated experience in communications relating to documentation, development of IEC materials (posters, infographics, etc), social media and engagement of the media (radio, TV, etc) is required. Experience of monitoring and evaluation in terms of data collection, data analysis and reporting is required. Some understanding and exposure to the WASH sector and working with government officials and NGOs is an added advantage. Experience of administrative procedures and computer skills, such as the use of excel, is required. Candidates with some knowledge and/or experience in Behaviour Change and Communication, administration and development studies are preferred. The successful applicant will undergo a short orientation to be provided by the respective supervisor to properly introduce the intern to the SNV efforts globally, the SNV country sector programmes with specific induction to the WASH SDG project. The intern will work closely with the project team in their respective areas including partners and consultants hired under the project.
Responsibilities/ Deliverables of the position:
Deliverable 1: To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team with all communication efforts, relating to creative documentation (audio, visual, online and offline), engaging the media (radio programmes, social media activities etc), capacity building and follow-up relating to the MSMB website, and implementation of communication interventions linked to Behaviour Change and Communication (40% of time).
Deliverable 2: To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team with monitoring and evaluation activities, cutting across all components and including the Mid Term Review planned in Q1 of 2021 of participants, registrations, and minute/note taking (30% of time).
Deliverable 3: To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team through the accurate and timely delivery of administrative and financial processes including but not limited to: travel; meeting arrangements and minute taking; filing; printing; Mobile payments, vehicle booking etc (30% of time).
- University degree in social studies or Business administration or communication or media or development studies etc. with minimum of 2 years of experience.
- Should have relevant technical knowledge, skills and extensive work experience in: communications (development of posters, infographics, media engagement, social media etc), , trainings, community capacity building as well as project monitoring and Evaluation (data collection and reporting).
- Experience of conducting administrative duties (registration, event coordination, payments) and use of excel
- Knowledge of WASH issues, particularly sanitation and hygiene, is an advantage
- Experience in undertaking similar work and engaging government officials.
- Demonstrated experience implementing visibility communications.
- Demonstrated experience working with stakeholders to build strategic partnerships.
Desired Skills and attitude:
- Able to work well in a team environment with colleagues.
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English and Swahili languages.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Willingness to travel and carry out field work
Desired Skills and attitude – demonstrated ability and experience in:
- Carrying out behaviour change related research and implementation and understanding of BCC approaches
- Research and understanding of waste re-use options, processes and related business opportunities
- Engaging and fostering strong relationships with government and private stakeholders, particularly city council and utility representatives
- Supporting and understanding Urban Sanitation and Hygiene activities and solid understanding of different interventions along the sanitation service chain
- Data collection tools (specifically Akvo FLOW), and use of excel for data analysis (including experience of pivot tables)
- Coordinating and processing administrative and financial related processes during workshops, trainings and events
- Creative thinking and ability to develop innovative and engaging interventions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong team player spirit
- Multi-tasking, analytical thinking and ability to summarise key points
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively with limited supervision, either at own initiative or under direction
Swahili native language
Advanced English fluency (oral and written)
Contract Type: Internship Agreement
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Expected Start Date: 4th November 2020
Information Duty Station: Arusha
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our interns benefit from, and contribute to, an international global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to Apply:
The vacancy is for internal and external candidates and it will be active up to 14th October 2020 and all application should be through Smart Recruiters on the following link https://smrtr.io/4s9QX
All application should include a detailed CV, academic certificates, a letter of interest and 3 references